1. You need:
- Old towel
- Sewing thread in matching colour
- Sewing machine
- Coloured embroidery thread
- Polyester filling
- Aquatrick pen
- Tailor's shears
- Glass-headed pins
- Sewing machine needles
- Universal No. 70
- Sewing needle
- Embroidery needle
2. Let the kids draw their favourite animal on the towel using self-erasing textile markers; don´t worry, the lines disappear all by themselves. Don´t forget to leave a 1 cm seam allowance all round and then cut out the motif double using the tailor’s shears.
3. Sew the two sections together right side to right side and don´t forget to leave an opening for turning approx. 5 cm long.
4. Clip the curves (approx. every 1-2 cm) and all the interior corners close to the seam and then turn the animal carefully right side out through the opening. This makes the seam allowances lie more smoothly on the inside.
5. Now use embroidery thread and a thick needle to embroider on a sweet face. To prevent the thread breaking, do not pull it too tightly.
6. Next, stuff the animal with polyester filling, until it feels like a proper cuddly toy.
7. You can close the turning opening with an invisible mattress stitch. This is done by hand, making sure that you sew up firmly to begin. Then, insert the needle into the folded edges in each side in turn, always at the same height as the previous stitch until you reach the end.
8. Sew up the end firmly again and now you will have a new friend and a new towel to take with you to the beach.
If it is too difficult to embroider the finished cuddly toy, you can tension the fabric in an embroidery frame even before you cut it out and embroider on the face as a first step!
Write a comment